Friday, April 25, 2008

Triathlete Eaten By Shark

Press Conference
Well, it finally happened. A triathlete swimming with a group in North San Diego County was bitten by a shark and bled to death this morning. This attack followed an abnormally high number of shark sightings in LA and Orange Counties in the past couple of months:


The recent increase in seals at CDM, the cooler water and more fish, and CDM's proximity to the Solana Beach attack (about 50 miles to the north), Dave and I decided to do some extra pool yardage for the next little while.

2 comments:

Vigoren Family said...

I was just going to comment and tell you about it, although I figured you already knew. Chris, I'm getting scared for you now. You have a beautiful wife and kids and so much more in life to live for...Oh boy...Love you!

Christopher Roberts said...

There has been a bit of buzz in the triathlete/open water swimming community since the attack. On some days, we have all felt a little spooked when swimming a few hundred yards offshore and seeing shadows moving underneath us. I have seen baitfish jumping out of the water all around me (which means a predator was chasing them). I have run into kelp and buoys and just about left a yellow cloud as I nearly jumped out of the water- but most of the time swimming in the ocean is a peaceful almost religious experience as you hear the bubbles rush past your ears and feel the tingle of cold water rush past you as you rhythmically move through the swells. There is a concensus that we should get out of the ocean when things feel creepy and enjoy the ocean at other times. There is always a risk, but it is a small one.

I no longer wear a wetsuit for my ocean swims so I look much less like a seal than most of my triathlete compadres, but I do need to rethink putting the dead mackerel in my suit during the swim :). Dave and I have plans to go out next Saturday. I am confident it will be another great swim.