Friday, April 18, 2008

Cold Ocean Swim

After a crazy adventure to get home from Denver that involved being booked or standby on 3 different flights, flying into another airport, taking a shuttle bus to Orange County and arriving home at 1:30am, I was still determined to do an swim with Dave Galli at Corona Del Mar this morning at 7am.

Online reports of the Sea Surface Temperature indicated that the morning swim would be a relatively comfortable high 50s. I'm not sure what the real temperature was, but for the first time this year, it was painful to enter the water. I had a difficult time catching my breath and felt pain as my head cut through the water. With my choppy stroke, I struggled to keep up with Dave during the first quarter mile. I actually got a little worried being a couple hundred yards offshore. I determined to keep up with him and finally caught my breath and rhythm. After a 3/4 a mile, we decided to head for shore to figure out how much more we should try to swim. On the way in to shore, we hit a cold water upwelling and felt the temperature drop another 5-10 degrees. We decided 1 mile was good for today.

I came home in time to walk/jog a few miles to Soka University and back with my wife.

No comments: