Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Rest and Recovery Long Weekend

Well, it wasn't intentional, but probably good none-the-less: After the 7 mile swim one day and then a couple of miles with paddles a few days later- my body probably needed a few building days before tackling another big swim. A late Wednesday night kept me from a Thursday morning workout, Friday's workout at Soka University in California was cancelled due to the Speedo Grand Master Challenge. An overnight get away with my wife to La Jolla on Friday night meant lots of food and lots of sleep, and no Saturday intensive workout with Nova. I like to avoid working out on Sunday. Cold weather and a little rain conspired against a planned 4 mile swim at Laguna Main Beach on Memorial Day.

When I arrived back in Colorado on Tuesday morning, it had been 6 days since my last workout and I needed to get my swimming fix. On Tuesday evening after work, I left my client's and headed to Grant Ranch. Though the water in Bowles Reservoir was cool (mid sixties) and the sky was overcast, I was able to swim 2 short laps and 1 full lap around the lake in under an hour for 2600-2700 meters.

This morning (Wednesday), I did the 5:30am Highlands Ranch Masters workout in Northridge Recreation Center's outdoor pool for the first time. Summer is here! That consisted of:
150 warm-up

Repeat 4 times:
4 x 25 (2 drill, 2 kick) on :40
1 x 100 (changing each repeat: IM, free, stroke, free) on 1:30

1 x 400 pull (even 100s stroke)
8 x 150 (free, choice, free by 50s) 4 on 2:00, 4 on 2:15
12 x 25 (mid pool starts) on :45
12 x 100 (4 free, 4 pull, 4 fins) on 1:20
150 warm-down
= 4,200 yards

The age groupers are now swimming mornings too and kicked me out at 7am sharp.

I bought a mountain bike last night after the reservoir swim and hope to get in a good ride tonight on Denver's famous trails.

No comments: