Saturday, March 22, 2008

Sharks: We are visiting their territory


The Catalina Channel is Great White Shark Range. Though attacks are rare, they do happen, including one recently in Huntington Beach. Dave was nice enough to omit that detail before our swim yesterday, but afterwards let me in on the secret of the 15 ft Great white attack a few days before. According to the pacific coast shark research committee, the season is off to a hopping start: http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news.htm

I woke with sore shoulders and scabbed schaffing on my neck from yesterdays ocean swim in a tri-suit. Though a leaf from my aloe vera plant helped, I'll have some more scar tissue.

This morning I swam in the pool at the Irvine Wollett Aquatic Center with Dave while Ahelee called the set. Did a nice set of:
5 x 100 on 1:35
4 x 200 on 3:00
3 x 300 with :30 rest
2 x 400 with :30 rest
1 x 500
350 warm down
=3,850 yards

I then did an easy ride with Shane in the afternoon from home to Cooks Corner, the biker bark at the mouth of Santiago Canyon and back. Now it is just take it easy this week before the Half Ironman next Saturday.

1 comment:

brooklyn said...

gross! who knew being this healthy was so dangeous--sharks!, scars!--yikes. glad to see you enjoying this all so much, though.