Saturday, March 15, 2008

Saturday Brick Workout

For those not in the Triathlon world, a brick workout is when you do 2 or more sport workouts in a day. Today I did a good brick workout.

It started at the Soka University Pool at 7:30 with Coach Mike Collins calling the sets. He was taking a short break from the clinic he is doing in Mission Viejo for those interested in going to the FINA World Masters Long Course Championship in Australia. He and the Mission Viejo Masters coach are coaching the national team.

Half of the Soka University Pool this morning. It overlooks the beautiful canyon Between Laguna Beach and Aliso.

Anyhow, here was the workout:
8 x 75 (IM order, middle 25 kick) on 1:15/1:20
16 x 100 (Alternative Free and stroke in IM order. Free on 1:30, Stroke 1:45)
4 x 100 pull on 1:15
400 pull on 5:30
8 x 50 pull on 1:00
400 pull on 5:30
16 x 25 pull on :30
400 pull on 5:30
200 warm down
=4,800 yards (~2.75 miles)

Next I met up with Dave Galli and Shane Fishbein at Corona Del Mar for an Ocean Swim. I decided to do it in my wet suit to get used to it before my next triathlon. While it made the water entry easier, I really would prefer to swim without it- it chaffed and was hot. I miss the numbing effect of cold water swimming. Dave set a fast pace that I just kept up with in my wetsuit. We swam just shy of 2 miles.

The Pacific was white capping with the strong winds, but CDM was protected by the Balboa jetty. You can just make out Catalina on the horizon.

Next the 3 of us jumped on our bikes with Dave's friend, Brian, and headed up PCH to Huntington Beach and then took the Santa Ana River trail to Angel Stadium and back. The winds coming off the ocean made the trip to Anaheim easy, but coming back was tough. I'm still feeling bad about cutting Dave off and causing him to crash on the trip back. He was so cool about it. I am very fortunate to find him as a workout partner. Dave- sorry again. We did over 35 miles in under 2 hours. My legs were feeling a little spent during the last 1/2 mile though.

Turning around at Angel Stadium in Anaheim.

Last we threw on our running shoes and did a run. I did a short mile run to Pelican Point and back as I wanted to get back to my family who hadn't seen me all week. Shane was going to run to Crystal Cove and back.

I'm feeling pretty good about the California 70.3. Just need to figure out my nutrition so that I don't hit the wall at mile 35 on the bike on my long rides.

No comments: