Thursday, September 11, 2008

Swimming in Lake Michigan


Both Jim Fitzpatrick and I are here in the Chicago area on business this week, so we decided to meet up for a swim in Lake Michigan this morning at the Ohio Street Beach.  I left Deerfield at 6:10am and made my way downtown in a little over 30 minutes.  Unfortunatley, after failing to find a place to park, accidently getting on Lake Shore Drive going north for a few miles, and making my way back to Ohio St., I finally just had the car valeted at the "W" hotel so I wouldn't leave Jim wondering where I was.

After taking the tunnel under Lake Shore drive, I found Jim right on the shore.  We were about the only folks out.  We saw one other swimmer and Jim said someone had just got out.  The wind was blowing (in Chicago?!) and the water was choppy, but the sun was warm and the water a nice 68-70 degrees.  We swam north along the buoys past the breakwater and back with the Chicago skyline to the west and sunrise to the east.  After an hour and 15 minutes and 2 and a quarter miles, we parted.  

Our next meet up?  In one week at the dock in San Pedro on our way to Catalina!

No comments: