Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Injury Update 2

The official results are in on the thumb injury. My optimism has been tempered. The injury is a Goalkeepers Thumb, a fracture of the bone where one of my thumb ligaments attaches. Surgery and physical therapy is advised to ensure full, non-painful use of the thumb in the future. A small black thumb stabilizer I've been wearing since Saturday afternoon has prevented the thumb from causing me much pain, but it isn't a long term solution. I have a full doctor's consultation scheduled on Thursday. We'll determine at that time what the injury means in terms of the Catalina swim, but in all likelihood, the injury will require a minor surgery and some PT which will make an August swim impossible.

It seems silly that such a small injury could have such a dramatic effect on my training and plans, but I can't change it now. "It is what it is" and I'll just deal with the consequences, which hopefully won't preclude the Catalina swim, but it may mean changing plans to an English Channel or Persian Gulf swim in 2009!

2 comments:

brooklyn said...

persian gulf? i guess getting car bombed, shot at, and discriminated against isn't enough excitement?

Jordon said...

sorry about the injury. sucks!! i hope it heals quickly and fully. can't wait to see you in sedona. still going, right????
what happened with the job?