Saturday, January 5, 2008

Triple Crown, Part III


Friday, January 4th
I took the day off. My legs were still sore from the short and exercises on Wednesday (how embarassing) and I wanted to be ready for Saturday's swim.

Saturday, January 5th
The torrential rains stopped long enough in the morning for about 50 of us Nova Master to do the 3 part of the "Triple Crown", which was 100 swims on a 1:15 interval.

I repeated the pattern of:
1 x 100 yards
4 x 75 yards

for the first 85 repeats.

I was feeling very well rested despite swimming for 1 hour and 45 minutes. I was finishing the 75s on 55 seconds and the 100s on 1:10. I did a few extra 100s at the end to finish the set with 8,150 yards (4.63 miles).

Dave Galli and I after the Triple Crown, Part III

The 4.5 miles felt really good. I think I could have doubled the distance with the same pace without much difficulty. I don't know if it is fair to extrapolate a warm, pool swim 4 and 1/2 times to the 21-mile distance of the Catalina Channel, but I am feeling confident. I'll get a better sense in the coming weeks as Dave Galli and I do some special practices of 3-4 hours of swimming in prep for the Catalina attempt.

1 comment:

Vigoren Family said...

Very impressive Chris. I think you'll do JUST FINE in moab!