Saturday, January 19, 2008

2 Swims and a 50 mile bike

I'm worn out. Started day with the Novaquatics "Freestyle Ironman" at 7:30 at the Soka pool. We swam a 1650, 1000, 500, 200, 100, and 50 for time. I was hoping to keep a 1:10 average per hundred. I thought is would be very doable given how good I was feeling Wednesday, but it wasn't to be. I was more of a 1:15 average guy for the long sets. Got to work on that.

At 9:30 I drove to Corona Del Mar for 1.5-2 mile swim in the ocean with Dave. It was good swim in mid-fifties water. I was able to keep up, but I felt the fatigue from the morning swim.

Showered, ate a quick Zone bar, Gu gel and headed out the door again for a bike ride. I talked with Shane Fishbein about heading east to see the effects of the big Santiago Canyon fire during the 2007 Southern California wildfires.

I met up with him near his house for the ride. We rode from Aliso Viejo up Aliso Creek to Cooks Corner biker bar at the mouth of Santiago Canyon, through the Canyon to Orange. In the canyon we saw the effects of the fires: lots of bare hillsides, black coastal oak, and "melted" cactus. Pretty sad. When we got to Tustin, we headed down the "Mountain to Sea" trail to the I-405, We then took Michelson to Laguna Canyon and down the canyon to finish up back in Aliso Viejo. It was almost exactly 50 miles. We did it in a little over 3 hours. I need a rest. :)

And if there are any women reading this- Yes, I thanked my wife (even got some roses) for putting up with this time consuming training. She's a good lady.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Chris, I am in awe! I just beleive one person can do that much training in one day! You are a machine! Ellie is indeed a keeper! my love, mom

brooklyn said...

i didn't even know you had this blog! you are crazy!!! (in a good way). truly amazing.

we sure miss you here. i especially feel the void every monday night. cambria always talks about you.