Thursday, December 20, 2007

Former Fat Guy

In July of 2006, a colleague at work commented on my physique in a humorous, but accurate way. I was huffing up a flight of stairs and forcing the seams of my pants to hang on for dear life. I had known for years that my lack of exercise, sedentary lifestyle, and junk food diet was the cause of my obesity. I made some decisions that day that led to a 30 pound weight reduction and a rediscovery of the joys of athletic competition. I have now completed 2 olympic distance triathlons and 6 ocean swim races of a mile or more.

I've come a long way in the last 18 months and I hope my training blog may help others get motivated to make lifestyle changes that lead to a healthier, happier lives. If you have similar goals, hopefully my training record can help you train even better than me.

My athletic goals for this year are:

  1. Complete a half-ironman triathlon (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run, in March)
  2. Complete a Catalina Channel swim (in August)
  3. Complete a marathon (TBD)
For 2009, the goals are:
  1. Complete an Ironman race (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run)
  2. Swim around Manhattan Island
  3. Swim the Maui Channel
I need coaching to help structure my workouts & push myself. I work out with some consumate professionals at Multisports of Orange County & Novaquatics. I probably don't take enough advantage of the years of training knowledge they have. I have also been working out with the Santa Clara Masters while working in the Bay Area. It is nice to get in 5,000-5,500 yard challenging workouts while away from home.

Part of the training for Catalina includes gaining a little weight. It is really hard to undo the good eating habits that I have established during the past year, but hopefully my overall health will improve with copious amounts of exercise.

No comments: